May 26, 2022
Can I get addicted to ADHD medication?
Is Adderall the same as meth?
With questions like these circling within communities and around the internet, it's no wonder so many ADHDers are confused, and sometimes terrified to take ADHD medication -- or to tell their family and friends they're on it.
It's "Medication May" on the Motherhood in ADHD podcast, and the goal of this episode series is to break stigma, bust myths and equip you with as much knowledge as possible about ADHD medication.
So you can feel confident in making the choice that's right for you.
On this episode, we continue our conversation with Board-Certified Pediatrician and ADHD specialist Dr. Carolyn Parcells. She gives us an overview of ADHD medication, answers commonly-asked questions, and busts several pervasive myths.
You'll hear about:
- The basics of ADHD medication -- the different types and how they work in the brain
- The differences between stimulant and non-stimulant ADHD medication
- ADHD medication and kids -- the types of medication for different age groups, risks, and benefits
- The complete low-down on ADHD medication and risk of addiction
Answers to questions like:
- Why is my medication less effective before and during my period?
- Can I double my dose if it's not working?
- Are there certain people who should avoid stimulants?
- Should I take a break from my medication so I don't develop a tolerance?
- And more!
Thank you, Dr. Parcells for your sharing your wealth of knowledge as an ADHD specialist!
This material is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your doctor or a trained medical professional to find the treatment plan that best fits your personal situation.
What if you could learn an easy, 3-step system for organizing your day, sorting through your to-do lists, and keeping your commitments? What if you had a group of other ADHD moms to hold you accountable week to week?
Connect with Dr. Parcells, read the transcript, and view the show notes on the Motherhood in ADHD blog.